Wednesday 17 June 2015

KOREDE BELLO: I WILL PERFORM GODWIN AGAIN






On Sunday, 5th of April, the Mavin Records act Korede Bello was a guest minister at the Harvesters International Christian Centre in Lagos (HICC), where he performed his smash hit single, ‘Godwin.’
The performance generated mixed reactions from some of his fans and followers of Nigerian music. While some saw nothing wrong with him performing the song in a church, others felt he crossed the line as a secular act who mounted the sacred pulpit.
In an exclusive interview with NET, Korede Bello said he did not regret performing in church and if the opportunity presented itself again, he would gladly do it all over again.
“If you are the pastor of a church and you invite me to perform the song, yes I will perform the song again. It’s God’s song and whatever is happening now is predetermined, people are talking about God that’s all that matters,’” he said.
When asked if the song was designed to be a gospel song, he said: “From the inception of Godwin, I knew that it wasn’t my song, I knew that anything that’s for God has the potential of growing bigger than you imagine. It’s not quite a gospel song, it’s an inspirational song, what I mean by it’s for God is the fact that it’s dedicated to God. I don’t see it as my song, I see it as people’s song and I see it as a song for God” he further revealed.
The US-based pastor, Pastor OlusolaFabunmi of the Redeemed Christian Church of God, City of Faith in Maryland, has used Korede’s performance to question if secular musicians should be allowed to perform at gospel concerts, saying that the church was wrong to have invited Korede, who is not a gospel singer, to perform on their altar.
However, there has been a great pull to this church on social media especially on tweeter as many young people commented.
A student at the Nigerian Institute of Journalism, PopoolaKehinde said “Those people are just being hypocritical. This is because Korede did not go to the altar to sing ‘Doro Buchi’ so; I humbly don’t know why they are speaking in that manner.
Meanwhile, thepastor of the HICC commented on the issue on Instagram describing the performance by Korede as an intentional action.
“I love those critiques regardless. Leave God to judge.”


No comments:

Post a Comment